Monday, June 22, 2015

The treasure hunt known as book sale.

Today begins our summer book sale. Now that term really is misleading because it suggests that we have a book sale every summer. The truth of the matter is, we take in donations all year round. Boxes, crates and bags of books get stored here, happily awaiting their return to the light. When the storage area gets full, we pull everything out and have a book sale, no matter what time of year it is. Sometimes we will get such a large donation that it forces us to hold another book sale within mere months of the last one. When the storage is full to bursting we pull all the books out of hibernation and display them on tables and spin racks for our patrons to browse through and select.

The selection part is my favorite. I love book sales. I love used book stores. I love online shopping for used books. I have found some really wonderful treasures in book sales. My first real find, the book that made me voracious for book hunting was a 1st edition Carrie by Stephen King. I purchased this much loved volume years ago from my high school library's annual book sale. It was in less than mint condition but I only paid 25¢ for it. That book also began an almost obsessive love for collecting books. Where better to hunt for items to fill in the gaps of your collection than a book sale?!

I now collect not only Stephen King but also Anne Rice and Michael Crichton to name a few. I collect books in specific genres too. I have a nice collection of books on tarot, numerology, astrology and the like. I love books about witches and their histories, real and imagined. I love books on the Titanic & the Bermuda Triangle. I have a love of the classics. I would love to have a collection of all the books one thinks of when one thinks of the classics. This may be reaching a bit, but hey, ya gotta have a hobby, right?

With that said, our book sale is going to run this entire week. Hard covers are $1.00 and paper backs are 50¢. The money goes to the Friends of the Library who buy things that are outside of the reach of our regular budget. E-books, audio books, and things of that sort. We appreciate them for all that they do, and I appreciate the book sale. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment